Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fresh Start

Is there any other job where once a year you get a clean slate and a fresh start? The joy in teaching is just that. Out go the old kids, the old procedures, the old requirements, the old you. In comes the new kids, their idiosyncrasies, new bosses, new neighbors, new ideas, goals, dreams, intentions. A whole new chance. I'm cleaner, neater, more deliberate, decisive, organized interpersonal, slower, faster, quieter, quieter. It will be interesting to see which of the new me holds out and which of the old will creep back.

ps I miss the postings of my Becky!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Here I am! :) I just wrote a new post.

I think every job could have some sort of fresh start, though maybe not to the extent that teaching does. In my job, for example, every new load is a chance to do everything better than the one before. Even calling a new prospect is a fresh start: will they want to talk to you? Do they even need your business? Will they ask for a price quote? You never know what (or who) you'll get on the other end!