Saturday, October 24, 2009

Not Sick, but Not Well

Should I have capitalized but? Who really cares with the exception of Becky and Laura? This has been a challenging week in every way. Last week I had a severe allergy related head cold. It was gone this week but left in its path a very tight, rough, screeching, case of laryngitis. I can't tell you how many times I've reassured people, no, I'm not sick or in pain just screechy! If that is true then, why by 2pm Tuesday when both the principal and vice came in for an extended walk through did I just want to cry and put my head down and say "Have you no decency?" It turned out that the review got rave reviews with my only shortcoming being no visible examples of exemplary work but that is beside the point. Who thinks that was a good idea? Ok to the point, if I wasn't sick why did I care? If I was sick, why wasn't I smart enough to know it? The rest of the week seemed to follow pattern with uncontrollable excitement stemming from the sex ed video and the current trend of throwing bottles of food coloring on the bus! If I were in my usual form this week would not have wounded me. In my lesser state, I met Friday with exhaustion. I even had an hour afternoon nap. I hate the idea of a nap. For others, have a nap. For me, no, no, no.(with the exception of the 7 minute pre-bedtime nap) Other signs that confuse me: being frankly honest with parents in conferences and on the phone, playing tennis, running like heck, but not being good enough, and for one small moment being irritated that key staff members failed to show up for student control during an unusual gathering!

So was I or am I sick? I'm not in pain, no fever or chills, no headache or body aches just a shortness of breath by the end of the day that comes from trying to talk when the body doesn't cooperate!

PS I emailed my friend and told her I'd be cheery by Monday.

1 comment:

Becky said...

My poor maima! I think your fatigue comes from your body trying its best to heal your scritchy-scratchy throat. ('Cause, you know, I'm a doctor and all.)

I LOVE a good nap, and recommend them to everyone, especially the ailing! I bet you will be cheery by Monday. You have a buoyant spirit which I admire greatly.

I am glad you and Laura find my blog entertaining. I enjoy reading both of yours too!