Monday, July 26, 2010

The Dress

In September 1973 my sister had just started school at TCU. She had gone through rush and pledged a sorority but still Mom worried. One Friday night Mom and I headed to Foley's and shopped for sister. We bought two dresses. I only remember what one looked like. It was a dark green calico print peasant style dress with a white inset in front. I was never a dress person but I liked this dress. We boxed up the dresses and sister called very pleased. I could picture her toodling off to class with her long straight hair and peasant dress. She always loved a dress. I felt good to buy her those dresses. My daughter bought me a dress. I didn't wear it or even keep it but she knew exactly what I liked. She took the things I like in shirts and pants and jewelry and found a dress that matched my style. I love that she thought about me, made the effort and took a chance on me. Perhaps I should have kept that dress. I'm too practical, frugal, and hosestly don't enjoy dresses. In fact when I wear one I just don't feel like me. So I will remember the gesture as one of my life's best gifts. Thanks, Becky.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Awwww you are so sweet! Don't even worry about not keeping the dress. I am touched you appreciated the gesture so much. *fanning misty eyes*

...Although, I still can't wrap my head around the idea that you'd need an occasion to wear a dress! ;)