Friday, June 27, 2008

Post #7 Google GAh-GAh

Wow! I am on Google overload. So many possibilities. I just started down the list and found I could continue for days. This could be a complete summer training in itself. Since I like to teach Earth Science in real context as it occurs I set up an alert for any earth shaking or Earth breaking news. It will be easy for me to open up these news stories of video footage at the opening of a class and share.

Next, was igoogle. I included tabs for both work and personal interest. Science related topics for work and things like art and cooking for home. I have already enjoyed looking at these. I specially like a quote from Woody Allen stating that her isn't afraid of death but that he'd rather not be there when it happens. Igoogle just seems like another way to customize information so less time is spent sifting.

With the google calendar option I set a calendar for my next 2 months and became shockingly aware that the summer will continue to zip by at a steady pace. My summer looks pretty busy but usually I can manage my engagements without such a program so I think I'll stick with the old fashion method. I can see where this could replace a syllabus and that students and parents alike could access a class calendar fro upcoming assignment, due dates,....

I enjoyed playing most with the notebook. I was able to open a notebook, insert data, charts, photos, links, and add details about each one. I love that is not stored on my computer. I know I will use this to keep different topics organized. I think it might be a good place to enter teacher notes so that students and parents could see the notes from home.

Google Earth is very popular on my elementary campus. It is a good resource for social studies and science.

Well, because I have spent 2 day at google tools and feel a little behind I will stop here. Next time out I think google tools could be assignments 7,8, and 9.

1 comment:

LauraAnn said...

No kidding about Google being Thing 7,8, and 9! It kind of leaves you googly-eyed doesn't it?

I played around with the calendar, and like you, it just reminded me of how quickly time passes - tick, tick, tick!

But wouldn't it be neat to make a family calendar? We could all post our travel dates, important events, etc!

Wouldn't that be nice for Dad? But would he ever be able to use it?

I spoke with him earlier, by the way. He, J1 and J2 had been out touring the iron mines in Wisconsin: maybe tomorrow they'll visit the museum of ear wax! Tee-hee!

Keep blogging, sister...