Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thoughts on the Avatar

Creating the avatar was fun. I could have spent the whole day. After realizing I'd spent almost 2 hours creating mine I just had to stop and accept it. The hard part was creating the me I wanted to share. Did I want to be the teacher, mother, wife, friend or all? It became obvious early on that I couldn't cover all of the Me's so I tried to pick some of my favorite characteristics. First, the apron. My neighbors always ask, "Are you baking?" I reply,"No, just keeping clean!" That is the honest truth because nearly anything I do I seem to get dirty. I thought it was important to include my glasses because in the last year I find that I can't do anything without them. I hate to admit this because I always felt my peers were being over dramatic about being blind and I now have eaten my thoughts. Of course, I am wearing shorts because it is summer, my legs are tanned and are less flabby than they have ever been. I placed myself in the kitchen because it is the hub of activity. I am holding cake because each summer I have a passion and last summer it was the summer of cakes from scratch. I made a new one each week, tasted it, shared it with my husband, and then took it to the nursing home where my mother in law was staying. Sweets go a long way in insuring kind care of a loved one. In the kitchen with me, admiring the cake you will see 2 dogs. I chose the 2 out of our 5 dogs that aren't really ours, but are our grand dogs with semi-permanent status. One is a fun, swimming, chocolate lab, Tyson just shy of a year old and the other is Bo, the brindle boxer with anxiety and allergy problems, weighing in at about 100 pounds. This is about where my creation came to and end. I could have put in my family and friends but honestly this is just about me.

1 comment:

mmin said...

I just laughed and laughed about your comments on the avatar. I soooo understand. Here is this thing that is supposed to be a representive of you in someway - but what do you do - the you that is real or what you wish was real, etc. I was talking to someone who was playing in Second Life - so many people there make themselves into the self they imagine or wish they were. I really enjoyed reading your process.