Saturday, June 21, 2008

Which Is My Most Effective Habit?

After much consideration, I think that my most effective habit from the list of 7 1/2, is having confidence in myself as a learner. Although it has been many years since I have challenged myself by learning anything academically challenging I think that I could. Instead I have mastered many other useful skills such as technology, which I hope I use to my advantage, cooking skills, games, athletic and fitness skills, and spritual knowledge. I know that through perserverance and practice that I can master these. In addition to having learner's confidence, I can add to that a willingness to learn and try new things, usually with a good and positive attitude. Seeing the end when I start a project is probably also a strength, as well as seeing a problem as a challenge, and having a good sense of play. When I look for my weaknesses from the list of the habits, I fall short in 2 areas: teaching and mentoring others, and creating a toolbox. Many times I would rather do something for you than teach you to do for yourself. Luckily this is only in my personal life since I am a science teacher. As for creating a tool box of things I need for learning, anyone who knows me knows I am very choosy about how I spend my money ( frugal or cheap?). Many times I will make do with an inferior tool or just do without if it means letting go of money. I am working on this, as I actually pay for tennis instruction weekly and invested in a costly racquet. I feel certain that this summer I will be both challenged and entertained by the tasks set ahead in this course, unless, of course I am ask to explain it to someone else or buy some expensive gadget.

1 comment:

Latebloomer said...

Hi Frogntoad-
I am up to Thing #12 where we are asked to make at least one comment to five different Learn2play blogs, and I chose yours for a couple of reasons. First the comment you made about be not always having confidence in yourself as a life long learner sounded alot like my blog entry, so I can relate to how you feel. Plus, I liked the dogs. I know - that seem shallow - but I am a dog lover myself and have a 15 year old dachshund and a 5 year old pug who also is a grand dog that has taken up permanent residence at our home. Good luck to you on your quest to finish all 23 things - I hope I can get it done by August 5th!