Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Digital Citizenship 2


Digital Citizenship 2, takes a look at a 4 Phase Model of Teaching Digital Citizenship by Mike S. Ribble, http://www.educ.ksu.edu/digitalcitizenship/DCReflect.pdf. The 4 phase model really incorporates more like 8 steps but is cyclical and easy to follow and understand. I do believe we must teach the objectives in his article but wonder how we actually get kids to feel and believe these ideas of citizenship. He suggests lesson ideas for each step but I still think kids might not buy into this self imposed regulation of technology. As for myself, every time I enter a new online setting I am keenly aware of the need to act right, in accordance with accepted behaviors. My biggest fear in Second Life was that someone was going to tell me to get lost, not speak with them, that I owed them money, or that I had broken some written or unwritten rule or law. I know we must do our part as educators to present the concepts, monitor compliance, and apply consequences. BUT in the world of ,”My mom couldn’t sign my folder because she was on Facebook all night,” I’m not sure the kids or their support system will reinforce these as we might hope.

1 comment:

LauraAnn said...

I agree w/ your comments on self-imposed regulations, especially when dealing w/ kids who are still developing their own sense of self.

I plan on addressing this same topic in my response to Digital Citizenship, but I haven't quite got a grasp on my thesis yet. I may have to do like you, addressing the topic in two parts. There is just too much to discuss in one fell swoop...

Think, think, think, says Winnie the Pooh!