Friday, July 3, 2009

What Now?


I finished summer school yesterday and find myself thinking, "What now?". What do I want to accomplish this summer? What skill do I want to acquire, what knowledge? Do I want to try something new or perfect something old like playing guitar or baking pies or sew or paint? I noticed in the Electric Coop magazine a holiday baking contest that must include peanuts in the recipe. I love a competition, I love eating, I love peanuts but think I have an allergy to them. In the name of a contest I could probably ingest a few here and there. I like the idea of the contest but hate the idea of having to read the rules! I also noticed an article on pies, the making of crusts, and recipes following. Perhaps this could be the summer of pies. Now remember the basic fear of staying home in the summer is that I might gain weight. I have learned how to cook for others without eating too much myself, but poor James might weigh 500 by the end of pie summer. Now moving away from food. I told Becky that I would like to try to learn something that was hard or difficult. It urges me to get out the college Algebra book. Most summers between baking cakes and practicing Mel Bay Book A and B, I work on Algebra problems. Maybe this summer I should set a goal. Maybe I should plan to finish the book. Maybe I should find technology sites to help me! Maybe I should leave the book in the drawer and do something else. I know you are thinking why not do volunteer work, help someone in need, take the focus off myself. There is the crazy plant lady who has a house completely surrounded by plants and various yard sundries. Perhaps an hour of my time each morning could her her win the battle of the plant invasions. Would she welcome my help? Would she shoot me if I entered her property? She might not welcome my help but all her neighbors with the "for sale" signs in their yards surely would. How about home improvement projects? Where would I begin? Door stops? Paint? Cleaning? Caulk removal and reapplication? Carpet cleaning or just replacement? Yard work? Honestly, I'm just not that into home things this summer. The law of home improvements says, "Stay away from home and you won't notice the things that need fixing so much!" One thing I must include is laughing and fun. I want my Sunday school girls to come over. I want to get together with girls I teach with so we can have fun away from school. I want to take time to play plenty of games. Now if you are going to respond with advice keep in mind that these are just rhetorical questions, just mind ponderings from morning coffee and that although I want your responses that no advice or direction is really needed.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well, I don't know about you, Ma, but I wanna host a game night just so I have an excuse to make THESE! http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/chocolate-domino-cookies-3383