Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Second Life, One Too Many?


Second Life is really kooky. I can see the appeal but am not sure if I want to do this. I began my avatar and looking at the possible communities. I became aware that it is easy to join an international community so one could gain knowledge about foreign languages, ways of life, geography, .... I also saw topic related sites such as music, art, and business. My son told me some horror stories of people getting totally obsessed with their virtual worlds and spending all their time and money in their Second Life. I could see how this could easily happen. I got put off when my pop up blocker stopped me from down loading their program. When it ask if I trusted the site, the contents, I felt skeptical, unsure. It is kind of like scuba diving in a cave when you have never dived or cave explored before. I'm sure it will look more friendly in the light of day. Any words of encouragement out there?

5 comments:

LauraAnn said...

Sorry, Sister: no encouragement here. I spent the better part of this morning reading through others' blogs, hoping to find someone who had completed this thing and read their reactions to it. I read about 20 blogs - no exaggeration - and I couldn't find anyone who had done it yet. You know that i wasn't wild about the whole idea, but I still haven't composed my post yet. At this point, I'm applying the Thumper principle.

Becky said...

Yeah...to me Second Life only seemed like the thing that World of Warcraft people would enjoy. *rolls eyes and returns to hand-writing a letter*

Becky said...

...What's the Thumper Principle??

LauraAnn said...

The Thumper Principle: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!
(from Bambi)

VWB said...

but we need to hear why any of you don't like it...

YES there is a learning curve involved, a big one in some respects...I have not conquered it myself

but in visiting some of the sites...the tsunami, the tornado, etc...is there no educational value?

please share...