Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Task #15 Library 2.0


I have an acquaintance that I often see in the library just sitting at a table reading. I don't bother her there but later tell her I saw here there, again. If I knoew her better I would ask, "Whay are you always at the library and what are you reading about or studying?" Perhaps I should ask anyway. She is older than I, she and her husband retired, a bell ringer and volunteer at my church but what does she read about? Could it be something philosphical, gardening, romance (I doubt it) some personal cause or passion? Maybe she just needs alone time. I really found the meditation or spa aspect of the library hard to imagine but now thinking of Linda it becomes more a possibility. I also wonder why she isn't on computer. Does she search at home? Does she know how to use a computer? She seems smart and current but she might just surprise me and be computer illiterate. Has the library staff approached her about this? Is it there job? Surely they have noticed her as a regular. Do they keep their eyes (physical and technological eyes)out for things she would like? What is their obligation of service to her others that access my small community library.

I think more about my school library and the race to keep up the technology. I am often surprised at how much and how little my science students know about technology when we go into the labs to do a project. Oh they can word process and add pictures and wiggly letters but lack many basic skills. So whose job is this? All of ours I suppose. I hate the idea that kids get this fractured education in technology taught in an "as needed" approach.

I feel I am rambling and am veering off task and I risk getting to the courts late so I am just stopping. As for Library 2.0, 3.0 and crazy 4.0, well, if yu figure it all out let me know.

3 comments:

not in sync said...

You brought up an interesting aspect of libraries of the future. If we all become so computer literate and can access the information we need from anywhere we happen to be, will we find that solace that some might be seeking in the quiet of the library for whatever reason?

LauraAnn said...

What a lovely image: somebody actually reading a book in the library! I can see why you would wonder about your friend and the conditions that brought her there. The escape of the library/spa sounds nice, but for my taste it would probably be too darn cold!

I wonder, too, about the future of the 'brary. It seems like Barnes and Noble has replaced the library, but that only works because we have money for luxuries! I think that our ecomony has encouraged the practice of buying books, therefore making libraries obsolete to some degree.

But what will happen if we face a serious economic downturn? Will people return to the library for books? Will we be joining your friend there, possibly ruining her solitude? Will she be glad to see us?

teenyafan said...

Your comment about lack of basic skills is right on. They may know how to "surf," but not intelligently look for information or should I say succintly? Some aren't even sure how to properly shut down a computer. But I feel strongly they should be taught on an "as needed" basis rather than in a vaccuum where what they learn won't be remembered when they need it. If they learn it right when they need it and then keep using what they learn, maybe it will stick. Just my two cents.