Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Task 19: Time Well Spent


So many choices. How does one go about deciding which Library 2.0 Award Winners to visit? I decided to view those that I have heard others talk about using. I would kill 2 birds with one stone; I fulfill my requirements and become a more informed listener. I obviously have no idea how to punctuate this sentence. Where is my copy of The Art Of Styling Sentences?

First, I visited Youtube. You would think a mother of 3 twenty-somethings and a science teacher would have used this before but honestly if my kids are using it I thought it was something that would get me in trouble! The first video I viewed was an educational volcano video by Ignitelearning. I had to quickly add this to my Rollyo science video search. It has a great song, use of great vocabulary and good footage of eruptions. Other clips were great as well as you can see in the Video Bar on this blog. I didn't know how to embed just one so you get the whole Video Bar until tomorrow. Again there are just a lot of unforgettable real live footage for science topics and that is what I need. Unforgettable.(5th grade science TAKS)

Next I visited YahooAnswers because my daughter uses it all the time. I was relieved to find I couldn't get into too much trouble at this site. I did quickly find a video telling me about tomato pruning which was the topic at breakfast this morning with my husband. Have I mentioned him? 28 years + with an optional annual renewable contract that keeps him on his toes! My tomato plot has been more than bountiful but this morning he ask whether one should prune to keep yield high. I thought he was out of line for asking since they are my tomatoes but it turns out he was correct about the pruning. Job #1 prune tomatoes. I checked a few other things and found the site easy to use and helpful but some responders are not experts.

Under health and fitness I went to Peertraining but found out the focus was weight loss and general fitness. The weight loss aspect was not what I was wanting. Now you are wondering is that because Nancy is fat without an intention of slimming down or already slim? I will leave that unanswered and to your imagination. I visited another health tool and saw some pictures of skin cancers. It made me keenly aware (again) of how important it is to care for your skin. I found myself comparing my moles to those in the pictures and decided that this is another job for experts. Job #2 call dermatologist. Job #3 buy 6 coolers.

I have also familiarized myself this summer with Myspace and Facebook. I am totally convinced that I should stay away from these alllll together. They are just one big potential for trouble. I am astounded by the amount of time and frequency that people visit and update their information. When my niece got engaged at 7 pm it was posted by 10! My other niece new by 10:15 and even Grandpa knew by morning! It is a creepy day when your dad calls with the big news!

It has been a really productive blogging day. Now I have to go and find what happened to my Video Bar. It was there a minute ago.

2 comments:

LauraAnn said...

Hey there sister! Glad you managed to stay out of trouble today... I'm curious whether you followed up on those tasks you lined out?
Call me in the morning and I will help you post your videos!

ps - Watch out for thing 21: it is a doozy!

The Lively Librarian said...

I just want to comment on your avatar and your site. It is inviting, and I like the way you use your sense of humor in your posts.